It only took 2 guys and 2 years but we’re happy to announce the main floor stairs are completely done. We wrapped up building the built-in and I put on the finishing touches of trim leaving me with ZERO things to do on this beast.
In case you forgot where this all started from here’s a refresher…
Looking back at the 3D room renders, we almost exactly replicated what I had designed.
To combat any children or old people slipping and breaking their bodies, I finished the steps with a special type of non slip polyurethane from Bona that was surprisingly hard to find. I had to order it out of a shop from Chicago.
The stairs are one of the very first things you see when you come in the front entry way and what was once a very stagnant, awkward staircase is now an open, sun filled spot that really compliments the room and gives you a feeling that this house really has some special things going on inside it.
With all the white maple being used, I came across some beautiful, marbled maple at Siwek’s. I decided to change things up a bit and used the marble boards to add some color and pattern on the drawer fronts. We also went back and forth on the drawer hardware, deciding to either go with two separate knobs on each drawer or one long pull handle. In the end, because the drawers were so wide (almost 3′ across), we decided on the wide bar because it made it easier to open the drawers.
The shelving unit above the drawers contain all of the entertainment components that route to the TV just to the side of the stairs. I made it a priority to hide all cables and ran a 15′ hdmi cord through the bottom of the unit, behind the trim running along the floor.